11 March 2011

Vienna = Awesomer

Yes, I just made up a word for my title. Get over it. Today has been fantastic. It's getting hard for me to rank the cities I've visited. Aside from Hamburg, Germany & Austria have been absolutely amazing. Doro's parents have been more than hospitable and have been a great joy to finally meet.

So let's update you a little on what happened after I left for Austria. We got into the train station at 5:40 and we hadn't really communicated with Bernd to see when or where we were going to meet him. Luckily I had a rough idea of what he looked like, so after circling around the station once to see if I could find him, he hopped off the escalator and walked by; naturally I followed him off and tapped him on the shoulder. God was watching over us, as always, and it turned out to be him. I don't know what we would've done had we not been able to find him. He immediately took us onto the U-Bahn and led us to the best dinner I've had in Europe yet. Chicken, pork, bread, potato salad, wine, and a whole lot more. It was unbelievable.

Doro's sister was also in Vienna this week and this is her son Dominik. I only found it fitting to take a picture with him.
They led us back to their house where Dominik and his brother Alex told me about themselves in broken English, but I was very impressed with how well they were able to communicate at such a young age in a foreign language. They both play hockey and Dominik played the Berlin Bears' hockey anthem for me, translating as it went, and it is quite catchy. I currently have it saved to my youtube and I'll post it below.


We finished the night drinking more wine and watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This made me miss my family that much more, but I'm really enjoying my trips. Vienna was absolutely beautiful. We left around 9:30 today to start our tour around the town and I'm pretty sure we saw just about everything, if not more, than we set out to accomplish.

Most of the buildings in this town were completely misleading. You'd think they were quite small, walk through an arch and see one of the biggest and most beautiful places you can think.

There were a lot of statues like this. Atypical Austrian men wrestling all sorts of animals.
The most amazing place, though, was thSchönbrunn Palace.


This is a view from the top of the hill inside the palace grounds.


Words can't describe how enjoyable this day was for me. To fully comprehend what I saw, you'll have to look through my photos from Vienna that are now up in the top right. Shouldn't take you long... there are only 260 of them.


I head off to Bratislava, Slovakia, tomorrow morning at 5 AM so I can get on my flight to Milan. There we will meet up with Pietro and see the sights. I'm really looking forward to it. This should be a great end to my Spring Break.


I hope you guys have enjoyed my trip through Germany and Austria. I love all of you and can't wait to see you all again.


Much love!


God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment