15 March 2011

A Friendly Discussion is Always Welcome

Today has been pretty interesting. Not for anything that I've done or seen in Europe, but rather upon the intercourse between a status I posted and the discussion that followed with an old friend from high school. Here's the full quote that I partially cut as to fit in to my status character length.
Because, Richard, many people must be ruled to thrive. In their selfishness and greed, they see free people as their oppressors. They wish to have a leader who will cut the taller plants so the sun will reach them. They think no plant should be allowed to grow taller than the shortest, and in that way give light to all. They would rather be provided a guiding light, regardless of the fuel, than light a candle themselves. Some are simply blind to the truth and fight for the lies they hear. And some find, once that guiding light is lit, that they are wearing chains, and then it is too late. 
pg 150 Wizard's First Rule
       Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 

This is the cover art for Wizard's First Rule (at least my copy).
I've been reading it over break (finally caught up to where I was in the book before I left for Europe and stupidly left it behind) and I stumbled upon this quote about a week ago and it struck me as very profound so I wrote it down in a notebook on my computer. I was reading further today and I remembered the quote so I looked at it again and decided to post it on Facebook to see what everyone else thought about it. It had the desired effect: it sparked a dialogue that I so enjoyed. If you're curious, I'm tagged in the note and it is still somewhere near the top of my profile.

It is for this reason that I thoroughly enjoy Terry Goodkind, even though I've read so little of him. He is very good at portraying real world problems in a totally fantastic world where it is put to the extremes. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of Wizard's First Rule as well as the rest of his series.

Anywho, that was the interesting section of my night. I took a nap today (my first one in Florence) and woke up for dinner. Then a group of us retired to the main classroom to watch the new Get Smart. So all in all it has been a great, kind of slow, but great day. Tomorrow we don't have class in the afternoon so I'm going to get my tickets for the AS Roma v. Fiorentina game as well as visit the Academia to see the David. This weekend I'm heading off to Siena and San Gimingnano for a day trip on Saturday with Pietro and Father. Umbria and Perugia next week with Assisi mixed in there somewhere. I'm really going to miss this place in a few weeks. 


Oh, but I've noticed I'm close to 1500 hits! Let's see if I can get to 2k before I leave Europe!

I love you guys!

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment