19 March 2011

San Domenico

So I spent the day in Siena. Woke up at 6 AM, hopped on a bus and the rest is history, as it were.

This is the main square in Siena. 
I noticed a few things in particular while I was there:
1) San Domenico has a basilica in Siena = crazy awesome. I bought a rosary, medal, and book in the gift shop.
2) The layout and architecture of Siena is incredibly similar to that of Florence. Only difference is the streets are about ten to ten thousand times more confusing than the ones in Firenze.
3) I thought Settignano was hilly until I started walking in Siena... good grief...

I hope I don't have to explain this one...
I'm sure you're wondering why I haven't mentioned San Gimignano yet... and there's good reason for it... the bus schedules are all wacky on Saturday and we got out of Siena later than we had expected so by the time we had gotten to the bus stop we needed, it was too late for it to be worthwhile to go there especially with it about to rain. I think Siena alone was worth the trip, though.

Inside the Basilica di San Domenico are the remains of St. Catherine of Siena -- her incorruptible head and finger. It was weird to see someone who had been dead for so long have such humanly features. To be quite honest, it was kind of creepy... but cool nonetheless. McKenna and I wandered the streets and small markets for the rest of the day. 

Tomorrow doesn't slow down at all for me. AS Roma v. Fiorentina is tomorrow! Woot! I can't wait for this game. I've been planning for it since I got here, as most of you know, and it will be a once in a lifetime experience. Pray the soccer hooligans don't get too rowdy or just pray for a good game -- either will do.

Monday we leave for Umbria!!!!

You can't stop or I will pass you
If you slow down, I will out last you
But when you're down you won't find me laughing
And just one question I might ask you
But it might sound like a disaster
Can you make this thing go faster?


Kudos if you know the song without having to look it up. I know my brother Anthony will get it in a blink.

Ciao my friends! Until we meet again!

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment