25 January 2011

Glenstal Abbey

My room in the Abby Guest House. Nathan was in Room 03.
After a half hour taxi ride into Limerick, Nathan and I finally arrived at the beautiful campus of Glenstal Abbey. Father Christoper welcomed us in from the cold rain and showed us to our room.

We spent the next hours relaxing. As you can imagine, 20+ hours in airports and airplanes tends to wear you out. After exploring the building and getting over the fact that I was actually in Europe, I fell asleep for a few hours (dumb jet lag). Nathan woke me a few hours later for dinner (sausage rolls and beans) and I've got to say that dining with these monks was increasingly interesting.

Father Christoper had informed us that the monks ate in silence. When I heard this, I was under the impression that no one would be talking at all. Turns out, there is one monk who reads during the dining periods. After travelling across the Atlantic, I was given a history lesson on General Custer and Little Bighorn. It's interesting hearing a story you've heard a hundred times before in the US from an Irishmen who couldn't pronounce St. Louis correctly.
The inside of my awesome room.


So here Nathan and I sit in their amazing library, trying to plan our next few days in this beautiful country. After tonight, we will explore Limerick and spend one more night in beautiful Muroe. After that? We're thinking Galway, Cliffs, and then finally onto Dublin! If you guys have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to leave me a comment. Hopefully I'll be able to update this daily, but Europe may have other ideas for me.
The view outside my window.
It was raining at the time and I haven't had a chance to take more pictures outside yet!



Until next time, God bless. from Muroe, Ireland!

1 comment:

  1. Gah, I can't believe you're in freaking Ireland. Have fun and make it home alive, k? Miss you already = )

    ReplyDelete