27 January 2011

Galway


Our last meal with Father Christopher.
Hopefully I will see him again sometime soon.
We finally said goodbye to Glenstal Abbey. It was a great experience, but I will miss Father Christopher and the great memories I had there. We boarded a bus from Limerick City and spent an hour travelling to Galway.

It was mind-blowing how much things change from one side of the country to the other. The sun decided to show itself -- at least for about a half hour -- and then quickly hid behind a veil of grey. Currently I'm laying in my bed at Galway City Hostel, the first hostel experience for me, and it really is not as bad as I thought it would be. Well... that's only partly true. We got in around noon and were told that our room wasn't ready yet. By itself that was mind-blowing since they knew when we were going to be arriving. So we waited for an hour in the lounge area and still it was not ready. Tired of wasting time in the hostel, Nathan and I embarked upon the city. Finally a town that we could easily get lost in; rest assured, we did.

It took us a while to get used to the bigger city since we'd mostly spent our time in small towns sprinkled across Western Ireland. We ended up going to the local museum as our first stop. There's one thing I know for sure -- Galway has an unhealthy obsession with former President John F. Kennedy. I'm pretty sure I saw at least four memorials for him, not counting the display in the museum itself. I don't think that any city in America has that many commemorative displays for any president. Here's the kicker, JFK was only in Galway for an hour. We wandered about the city spotting a 2 Store. Let me give you a look into my brilliance: I left the country for studying abroad and forget to pack notebooks. So guess what I just bought at the €2 Store? Two brand new notebooks. Yay me!


If you don't know what this is, you should probably start reading my blog instead of just looking at all the pretty pictures.
But that's enough of my genius for one day, methinks. On our way back from the museum we decided to book our bus tour tomorrow (all 8 hours of it) to Connemara & Cong. It looks awesome. I know you are all wondering why I'm not going to the Cliffs. You can keep wondering, because I'm not going to tell you until tomorrow. On our way back from the tour agent, we stopped at a massive Cathedral in town which is pictured above. It is simply one of the biggest churches I have ever stepped foot. After more walking and Thai Rings (think Funyuns with an Asian kick) we decided to head back home to get all of our stuff moved to our actual room.


Here's the best part of the coming night. You know that hostel I'm staying in? Guess what is directly below it. Go ahead. Guess. Give up? O well, I guess I'll tell you. Beneath my bed is an Irish Pub. It really doesn't get much better than this. So I'm sure Nathan and I will head down there for drinks and some grub before hitting the hay and getting up again for some more travels. 


On a completely different note, I'm considering uploading all the pictures I've taken onto the internet in the form of a Picasa album or something similar. If you'd like to see this leave your suggestion/vote in my comments. Ok. I think that's it.


A candle.
God bless! Speaking of which... I lit a candle in the Cathedral for all of you. It's the one in the bottom left corner, for those of you wondering. But I digress. Dia linn!

2 comments:

  1. How convenient, an Irish pub right below your room. Is it called McLaren's? Anyone named Barney in there? Is it legendary? = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely legendary. I was so tempted to play 'Have you met Nathan?' but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete