28 January 2011

Connemara & Kong

Beautiful Kylemore Abbey
What a day! From 10-5, we were on a bus travelling the northern hills of Galway and Ireland. It was one of the coolest (and longest) days in Ireland. Get this, I took over 200 pictures today. My camera apparently wasn't prepared for this many, and died toward the end of our tour. The scenery and landscape was absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it. The trip was more than just a tour, it was an experience: one that I wouldn't have enjoyed without the help of our tour guid, Michael O'Malley. Yes. His name is Mike O'Malley. Incredibly knowledgeable with a keen sense of corny humor, he made the trip incredibly entertaining while also being a truly educational experience.

The picture you see first is Kylemore Abbey. This was the highlight of the trip, and as such, we spent two hours exploring it. This castle was originally built in the late 1800s by Mitchell Henry, a very wealthy doctor, at the request of his wife. They had spent their honeymoon in these hills and she asked if they could settle down in the hills. 150 million pounds sterling later, and you have this massive estate. There was a massive garden to the West as well as a mausoleum originally for his wife (who died at the age of 45) and a Neo-Gothic Church (miniature) to the East. Gambling eventually bankrupt the family and they were forced to put the castle up for auction. After no one was willing to put a bid on this beautiful estate, they bequest it to Benedictine nuns. Yes, everywhere we've gone we have been surrounded by Benedictines in some form. It has been weird and awesome at the same time. For a fraction of the cost, the nuns moved into the castle and converted it into a convent and a girls' boarding school. The school closed last year, but the nuns are still very much active within the walls.

Meet Michael.
Continuing on, we passed killer sheep, more stunning landscape, embarrassing group singing, and more ruins than you could ever imagine. This was a once in a lifetime experience and I finally feel like I'm actually in Europe. I can't imagine how to top this excellent tour, but we're going to try. We'll be visiting the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow with the same tour company. I'm sure it'll be just as awesome with just as many pictures. Nathan and I am currently sitting in hostel number 2, Kinlay House, recuperating and planning not only for tomorrow, but for our weekend in Dublin. The further East we go, the more my fascination increases. I can honestly say that I will keep a piece of Ireland with me for the rest of my life. A simply amazing country with some of the kindest and most intriguing people I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

Since I took so many pictures today, I will put up a few more. I hope you guys enjoy them. Until next time, God bless!

Inside the Ross Errily Friary

I saw landscaping like this all day. Legendary.

A Connemara Pony. We were able to touch this one.

There is a perfect reflection of the mountains in the water if you look closely.
This was a river by the Cong Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment